Re: scrollback

Philip Blundell (pjb27@cam.ac.uk)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 01:28:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Egor Egorov wrote:

> There is a real need of separate scrollback for each console. I think, we can
> do it as a kernel option - save scrollback in videobuffer or in real ram. In
> second case, scrollback will be saved for each console separatelly.
>
> How d'you think ?

It's certainly an option, and it might well be worth having -- an 80x25
screen only takes 2k or so of RAM, which isn't much on a 16MB machine.
You'd implement it by having the rollback in videoram as it is now, and
just copying the _entire_ video buffer into some other storage when a VC
change happens. This would slow down VC switching a bit, but not much,
and wouldn't have any other bad impacts.

P.