Re: Core dumps & restarting

Kernel Panic (colpanic@purplenet.net)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 20:26:58 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 psychos@xeo.net wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Eduardo Diaz Comellas wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I was wandering how to stop a process, reboot the machine, and
> > restart that process. Is there a way to provoke a program to dump
> > itself, and restart it after the reboot?
> >
> > Maybe we can define a new executable format for it to work ;-)
> >
> > Cheers!
>
> This would be practically impossible as you'd have to load the program
> into the exact same memory space or all of its pointers would be bad...
> Memory fragmentation issues would make it very hard to get any program to
> occupy the exact same space it did before.
>
> The only way to really reload anything would be to dump the entire system
> memory to a file and reload that. This could be useful if you wanted to do
> something like boot into another operating system, or halt your computer
> for whatever reason.
> (Of course, real Linux users never reboot or shut down, except for a
> hardware or kernel upgrade ;)

Wouldn't it be nice to have a modular kernel so you could upgrade without
rebooting. Then we'd never have to reboot
if you just had a very small kerneld and only had to reboot for major
changes =}

--== Kernel Panic ==--
--== SYS-ADMIN of Purplenet.net ==--
--== Your GOD ... Your RULES ... ==--
--== You burn in HELL ==--
--== Key fingerprint = F98141B1EFBAE07A E21F90A4F300A696 ==--