Re: OFF TOPIC [was]Re: Linux needs control.exe

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 02:57:15 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Robin Becker wrote:

(clip)
> Joe User often is as baffled by the terminology as anything else & a
> poorly designed GUI control panel won't help. I'm no fan of Billy, but
> Win 95 is nearly there. The distressing thing is that we're all

Win 95 is simplified for the user:

User: What does this configuration thing do?
You: It allows you to modify you settings, for networking,
hardware, protocols, ...
User: Whoa! Layman's terms, please!
You: It changes stuff.
User: That's what I'm looking for! What can it change?
You: This part change IP forwarding. It allows ...
User: Simplify, simplify! What can it do for ME?
You: Nothing, until you understand it.
User: Well it makes me uncomfortable. It looks so technical;
Get rid of it, I want a system *I* can understand.
You: But...
User: Hey, who's system is this anyway?
You: (... rm this, rm that, rm /etc/* ...) "All done."

(clip)
> --
> Robin Becker

--kmb203@psu.edu---------------Debian/GNU--1.1---Linux--2.1.3---
Develop free apps? http://www.jagunet.com/~braddock/fslu/org
We believe that everything's getting better despite evidence to
the contrary. The evidence must be investigated. You can prove
anything with evidence.
-- Steve Turner, "Creed"