Re: TTY speedup patch/Menuconfig speed??

William E. Roadcap (roadcapw@cfw.com)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 13:22:56 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, David Dyck wrote:

> I'm using a 28.8 modem that connects at 26 point something.
> I'm not at home now, so I can't tell you what speed stty reports.

I think many dialog based programs will run slow over 28.8.

> I wondered how "make xconfig" got around the problem, and maybe

xconfig is a completely different animal. It is a tcl/wish thingy.

> there is a way to not fire off multiple copies of lxdialog, but
> have the menuconfig script communicate or run under lxdialog... eesh!

Possibly. I've tossed this idea around in the past, but haven't had time
to pursue work on it.

> There were a 'lot' of escape codes associated with menu startup also.

That's the ncurses screen initialization I was speaking of.

> How are the different config tools kept in sync?
> If there are differences, which config too is the 'master',
> "make config", or "make menuconfig"

I consider "make config" to be the master, or measuring stick. If it
works under "make config" it _must_ work under Menuconfig else I need to
fix it. Actually, the various Config.in files you'll find throughout the
kernel source tree "root control" of the configuration process. They are
BASH scripts, and that is why I want the heart of Menuconfig to remain in
BASH.
__
William E. Roadcap mailto:roadcapw@cfw.com
TITUS Software ftp://titus.cfw.com/pub