Re: unusual startup messages

Raja R Harinath (harinath@cs.umn.edu)
31 Oct 1996 17:11:38 -0600

Bryn Paul Arnold Jones <bpaj@gytha.demon.co.uk> writes:
> On 31 Oct 1996, Matthijs Corpeleijn wrote:
> > It's absolutely right though, that according to the ammunition law of the US,
> > the im- and export of DES encryption software, or DES encrypted data is
> > illegal, unless you have a good reason and a permit to do so.
>
> Nope, Importing munitions into the US is fine, just not the reverse.

There are more twists to it. Temporary residents in the US probably
aren't allowed to import munitions (who are temporary residents: most
international students on F-1 and J-1, H-1 employees, tourists). For
that matter, temporary residents probably aren't allowed to use some
crypto software. For one, I can't use PGP even though I'm in the US.

Crypto issues are pretty murky, and they are definitely going to get
murkier. Strongish crypto shouldn't get into the kernel since it'll
make the kernel inaccessible to a decent number of people.

- Hari