Re: unusual startup messages

Bruce J. Bell (bruce@ugcs.caltech.edu)
1 Nov 1996 02:52:31 GMT

On 31 Oct 1996 17:11:38 -0600, Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> wrote:

>There are more twists to it. Temporary residents in the US probably
>aren't allowed to import munitions (who are temporary residents: most
>international students on F-1 and J-1, H-1 employees, tourists). For
>that matter, temporary residents probably aren't allowed to use some
>crypto software. For one, I can't use PGP even though I'm in the US.
>
>Crypto issues are pretty murky, and they are definitely going to get
>murkier. Strongish crypto shouldn't get into the kernel since it'll
>make the kernel inaccessible to a decent number of people.

Maybe you should put a standard crypto *interface* into the kernel,
and sell your crypto modules separately...

Since cryptographic algorithms do change, this may be a good idea
anyway. Make sure not to lock in any particular key length.

Bruce

--
You are the lens of the world:
the lens through which the world may become aware of itself.