Re: The best filesystem for a BIG news server

Sat, 2 Nov 1996 01:28:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Michael Neuffer wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Another thing: How can I implement a very very fast disksubsystem for
> > > the news.
> >
> > Use either hardware or software RAID/striping. The md driver will give very
> > good performance when striping disks. You probably want to stripe over
> > a pair of good disk controllers (eg two buslogic 958's). Oh and needless to
> > say USE SCSI ;)
>
> The fastest RAID you can do under Linux is by using DPT multichannel
> controllers. The do RAID in hardware (no overhead on the host system
> compare to software RAID implementations like MD) and stripe over multiple
> channels.

I am not knowledgeable about such high end things. But in my opinion, a
full software solution have less latency and so may have better performance.
Being given that processors, memory subsystem and buses are nowaday very
fast, the resulting overhead is probably negligible.
Obviously, all that is "in theory" and softwares are very important too.

Gerard.