Re: un.h in 2.1.6

Markus Gutschke (gutschk@uni-muenster.de)
5 Nov 1996 14:08:50 +0100

Curtiss Cicco <1CMC3466@ibm.mtsac.edu> writes:
> While building the XFree86-3.2 package I was getting some warnings
> about a zero-length array in un.h. The offending line is 'unsigned
> char cmsg_data›0º;' and my question is, is this a typo or was this
> intentionally put this way?

Zero-length arrays are a non-standard extension to the C
language. Actually, this extension seems to be quite common, as apart
from GCC also a lot of commerical C compilers accept this
construct. It often makes coding a lot easier/cleaner and as we rely
on a lot of other GCC features anyways, it does not make the kernel
noticeably less portable.

Markus