Re: Linux & ECC memory

Joel Philip Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:23:24 -0800 (PST)

this would be the optiplex gx/pro models and in fact they do have ecc edo
memory as do a couple of hp's they also use dimms instead of simms, so
they're using basically the same memory as a couple of the new
alpha-stations that we have around here. the optiplex gx/pro's are very
very fast...

joelja

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

> I just recently saw an advertisement for a Dell computer with a P6
> motherboard & CPU that includes "64MB EDO RAM with ECC".
>
> Are there in fact x86 motherboards that support ECC RAM? Can such a
> motherboard provide better error recognition & recovery then a simple
> "parity error"?
>
> Most importantly, can (does) Linux take advantage of this?
>
> --
> Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@oregon.uoregon.edu
ANTC & NSRC joelja@ns.uoregon.edu
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage