Re: Linux & ECC memory

Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:28:04 +0100 (MEZ)

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > Wouldn't linux know which process was active (and generated)
> > the NMI though?\ I would think that the kernel could at least
> > kill the process and unmap the physical pages used by that
> > process at the time.
[...]
> The kernel could record what pages are in use by the current
> process, plus the previous process if the current process was
> just scheduled. It is best to just printk() the address space.
>
> After several NMIs have happened, the sysadmin can use a
> statistical tool can examine the log file for patterns.

But alas, the memory pages used for/by the kernel are always in question
too and will always be at the same physical location(s) (except those
allocated later with kalloc).

Michael.

(eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de or eowmob@pollux.exp-math.uni-essen.de
Please do not use my vm or de0hrz1a accounts anymore. In case of real
problems reaching me try mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de instead.)