Re: cc1 - fatal signal 11 during build

Keith Rohrer (kwrohrer@uiuc.edu)
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:34:16 -0600 (CST)

> On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Victor Vaughn wrote:
> > gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> Signal 11 errors are 90% of the time caused by hardware problems, usually
> the L2 cache. Try disabling the L2 cache in bios, (if that isn't
> possible, take it out, and try compiling) If that solves your problem,
> get some new cache :>
Are you overclocking, or not properly cooling, your CPU? My AMD 486
DX2-80 flakes out after a few hours, apparently from L1 cache corruption,
when not equipped with a heat sink and working fan. The signal 11 or
signal 6 or illegal instruction errors occur in random places, and while
I can eventually get the kernel to build with the CPU like this, odds
are there's errors anyway. So check your CPU... (my dx2-80 runs fine as
a dx4-100 or a dx2-100 with a heat sink and working fan).

Keith

Disclaimer: Do not taunt Happy Fun God.