Re: News gateway problem

Albert Cahalan (albert@ccs.neu.edu)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 19:11:57 -0500 (EST)

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)

>>> I do NOT want my email address in any header. I am getting
>>
>> You should be able to put invalid addresses into your headers
>> yourself, regardless of whether you use the news or the mail
>> entry point.

Poor, but it might be usable.

> If you place false email addresses into your headers then if your
> traffic enters the UK at least you will be committing an offence.

Hmmm, most of the spammers do that. Has one been prosecuted?

The mail would come from vger, and it would have these headers intact:

> From owner-linux-kernel-outgoing@vger.rutgers.edu Tue Nov 19 17:17:31 1996
> Sender: owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

Is that good enough? I'm not a UK resident, so the transmission
to vger is legal. I would not pretend to be someone else.

I still think the gateway and archives should obscure addresses.
I find spam in my mailbox every day, all of it because this list
exposes my address on usenet.

Does anybody remember why we use a mailing list instead of a
newsgroup? Because vger has too much extra CPU power? :-)
No, because we like to avoid spam and dumb questions. Oh, and
because email is faster in theory.