Re: Lynx spinning. Kernel problem?

Hugo Van den Berg (hbe@cypres.nl)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:00:44 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> > So what I imagine is happening is lynx (2.3 BETA) calls 'connect'
> > with a non-blocking socket, and connect returns immediately. Then lynx
> > selects with a zero timeout, the select returns, and lynx calls connect
> > again. But why would lynx do anything so stupid?
>
> Lynx is written by folks who didnt read the man pages to select
> carefully. Make it reassign a timeout to the select before each select
> call

That's the way select works in Linux, but some other Unix
dialects leave the timeout alone so you can use the same
struct over and over on select calls. So maybe they just
originaly developed on another Unix platform? I ran into
the same "problem" with select when porting software from SCO
to Linux.

> Alan

Hugo Van den Berg - hbe@cypres.nl
Phone - +31 (0)30 - 60 25 400