Re: Please don't beat me up (was Re: Bugs and wishes in memory management area)

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
28 Nov 1996 00:38:33 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <vba917nl2ur.fsf@mozart.stat.wisc.edu>,
buhr@stat.wisc.edu (Kevin Buhr) writes:

> space it has available. That is to say, your new code has the effect
> of magically boosting the size of physical memory, but the actual
> failure rates of a "kmalloc(1024,GFP_KERNEL)" won't differ, even if
> that call is more likely to cause a page fault under the buddy system
> than under yours.

Wrong, actually. Under the current system, I can allocate (a little less
than) three pages with kmalloc, which wastes a fourth page, which won't be
available for your above kmalloc.

--
Nothing can take the place of practical experience out in the world.