Re: Ok, very stable kernel bug found.

Aleksey Kliger (akliger@octet.com)
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 22:03:03 -0500

Jason Burrell wrote:

> Whoa, first contact!

Nope, 'fraid not, Linux is still primarily used on planet Earth, I'm
afraid.

Our friend here sent a message in Russian (KOI8-R encoding).
I've bothered to do a rough translation (pardon the poor quality, I'm
not too
good at translations).

> On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Igor Romanenko wrote:
>
> > > Hi. Just found stable kernel bug (occurs in 100%). Requirement:
> > >
> > > 2.0.26, libc 5.4.7, installed on RedHat 4.0, RAR archiver 2.00 beta 3 (the
> > ^^^^^
> > Каковая сама по себе beta
which is a beta in itself.

> > > latest) for Linux. If we're archiving Perl 5.003 sources, and stdout from rar
> > > is redirected to file or /dev/null, kernel says about gpf in 10-20 seconds.
> > > This does not occurs if rar is not redirected.
> > >
> > > PS: Can anoybody say me, why my LILO stopped to work? Just "LI" when
> > > booting, and nothing more. Nothing helps - even "fdisk /mbr" from dos and
> > > then lilo from The Perfect Operating System does not helps. :( But it
> > > worked!
> >
> > А вы часом не меняли LBA на не-LBA или наоборот?
Have you changed from LBA to non-LBA mode?

> Welcome, from the people of Terra (Sol III). We extend our hands in
> friendship, and sincerely hope you shall do the same with your
> hand-equivelents.

---
akliger

``You mean you are explorers on some kind of star trek?'' --Zefram Cochrane