Re: Please don't beat me up (was Re: Bugs and wishes in memory management area)

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 09:36:38 +0000 (GMT/BST)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> once you have got() a buffer, you can code along as if it were a normal
> buffer, no speed penalty. The garbage collector thread then would
> clusterise buffers that arent in use. [they are allocated, but no pointer
> is out somewhere in a context]

This is pretty much what we have. Kmalloc gets the buffer, you use it,
kfree releases it. The only thing it doesn't currently do is to shuffle
allocated things around to make larger chunks. My experimentation
suggests that coalescing in kmalloc is not worthwhile anyway.

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |