Re: Good News Linux Novell

Elliot Lee (sopwith@cuc.edu)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 14:14:32 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Chai Harjo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I read the ComputerWorld 29th November 1996 edition this morning.
> I saw on page 20, "NDS - Novell gives it away".
> "Novell is giving away its most prized possession -
> Novell Directory Services (NDS) - in a bold gamble
> to fight off threats from arch-rival Microsoft.
> The company this week announced it will give away
> NDS source code to any Unix operating systems
> vendor, application developer or Internet Service
> Provider that wants to resell the technology -
> without paying royalties - as an integral component
> of its product."
>
> Anybody in Linux community would be interested to port NDS to
> Linux? It would be a big boost for Linux too because it is
> FREEEEEEEEE.

NDS is free?
- Novell won't publish any specifications. All the details are
secret.
- To get NDS source you have to be a very big company (i.e. IBM,
Microsoft, Sun) and sign all sorts of license agreements.
- There are also the issues of licensing RSA.

The headlines ought to read "Novell to pull of publicity stunt by calling
NDS free". I know. I've tried to get the info.

I do believe Caldera has another licensing agreement with Novell that
lets them use NDS (not related to this "free" licensing agreement), so
they may the most immediate source of NDS compatibility for Linux.

I'm working (in my copious spare time :) on porting ISODE 8.0 and LDAP to
Linux - hopefully these should be at least a start in the right direction.
Since they are both truly free, I think they're a lot better. They are
also published Internet standards (or at least, LDAP is approaching that
point - ISODE's just a development library and not really a standard).

Hope this helps,
-- Elliot

http://www.redhat.com/