Re: Bug in waitpid()

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:10:31 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <19961101021103.946.qmail@fomalhout.lunix.org>,
ton@linux.cc.kuleuven.ac.be writes:

> Since I have no access to the POSIX standards, I am not sure what the correct
> semantics are, but from books I get the impression that SIGCHLD means more
> something like "a child that still has to be waited for died" rather than
> "a child died".

AFAIK, that's somewhat undefined. Besides, how often you get a SIGCHLD is
also undefined, so the reaper should call wait4(...,WNOHANG) in a loop
until there are no more dead child processes.

--
As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its
fascination.  When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be