Re: RFC: New kernel proc interface

James V. Di Toro III (karrde@gats.hampton.va.us)
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 08:12:56 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Rob Riggs wrote:

> The current proc code was the best solution when RAM was limited.
> Today's systems have much more RAM than in the past. Hacks like
> this should be elimnated now that the majority of systems have
> the resources to do "the right thing." (TM)
>
> If this is really an issue, implimenting backwards compatibilty
> for memory critical proc routines is trivial.

Maybe the solution for this is an option in the config for large
memory mode that would be able to handle all the proc stuff in the manner
you describe, and a small memory mode that handles the proc entries like
it does now. No bloat, it's either one or the other, and except for how
they handle the files, every thing should be the same.

James V. Di Toro III | "I've got a bad feeling / |_| \/\
System Administrator, GATS, Inc.| about This" |()\ / ||
karrde@gats.hampton.va.us | |---0---_|
W: (757) 865 - 7491 | -various \ / \ /
^:::^