Re: The best filesystem for a BIG news server

Michael Neuffer (neuffer@nomis.i-connect.net)
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:04:55 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Another thing: How can I implement a very very fast disksubsystem for
> > the news.
>
> Use either hardware or software RAID/striping. The md driver will give very
> good performance when striping disks. You probably want to stripe over
> a pair of good disk controllers (eg two buslogic 958's). Oh and needless to
> say USE SCSI ;)

The fastest RAID you can do under Linux is by using DPT multichannel
controllers. The do RAID in hardware (no overhead on the host system
compare to software RAID implementations like MD) and stripe over multiple
channels.

Look at http://www.dpt.com and ask me directly or the people on the
linux-eata mailinglist if you need more info.

Mike

Michael Neuffer i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net 14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.677.2900 Beaverton, OR 97008