Re: aplying patches

Nick Holloway (Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk)
3 Nov 1996 10:27:41 -0000

In <Pine.LNX.3.95.961030193948.2646A-100000@linux.pangea.ca> jfayre@pangea.ca (Jason Fayre) writes:

> I'm getting some strange results when aplying kernel patches, can someone
> give me the correct procedure for aplying patches?

How does the idea of a script which does the following grab you?

* when given the directory containing the kernel source, and the
directory containing the patches, automatically brings the kernel
up to the current version.
* Know the correct flags for applying the patches.
* It checks for reject files, to let you know if the patch failed
* It cleans up the original files after patching.
* Makes coffee for you to drink while the new kernel is building.

For an 80% solution (it doesn't do the last point) have a look at
/usr/src/linux/README for instructions on applying patches, and this
includes details of /usr/src/linux/scripts/patch-kernel.

--
 `O O'  | Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk  http://www.alfie.demon.co.uk/
// ^ \\ | Nick.Holloway@parallax.co.uk  http://www.parallax.co.uk/~alfie/