Re: ncr53c8xx

Sun, 3 Nov 1996 11:53:25 +0000 (GMT)

Marco,

Since Linux-2.0.3, 2 drivers are available for ncr53c8xx based scsi
controllers.

- 53c7,8xx: which supports ncr53c7xx (?) and ncr53c8xx controllers.
Written by Drew Eckhard for Linux.

- ncr53c8xx: based on the FreeBSD driver for ncr53c8xx controller.
Written by Wolfgang Stanglemeier and STefan Esser.
This driver has been ported (at least) to 386BSD, NetBSD and Linux.

ncr53c8xx driver is able to execute some control commands after boot-up.
Under Linux, this feature is wrapped through the scsi proc fs.

If 53c7,8xx is choosen with make config you will not be asked for
the ncr53c8xx driver support.
Including both drivers in a kernel image is not possible for obvious
reasons unless they are both loadable modules.
So, answer N to 53c7,8xx support and then Y to ncr53c8xx support.

Sorry for the trouble you have had. This is indeed not easy to guess.

Gerard.