Re: Problems with netscape in 2.0.24

Keith Owens (kaos@edison.dialix.com.au)
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 12:11:22 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Hocus Pocus wrote:
> softmoo@netside.net wrote
> > I have been seeing netscape dying with "Bus error" in 2.0.24 kernels
> >which are not seen previously by the 2.0 kernel. Could it be the patch
> >to sock.h causing the problem? Thsi happened with all 2.x and 3.x versions
> >of Netscape.
>
> Though I have not found what's wrong, I can avoid 'Bus error' by
> making Java disabled.

The netscape/java problem is not a linux-kernel problem, it is netscape's
requirement for an old version of libc. See
http://www.blackdown.org/Howto/Howto.html. Netscape 3.0 and Java works
fine with 2.0.24 if netscape is pointed at libc 5.0.9.

*** O . C. Software -- Consulting Services for Storage Management, ***
*** Disaster Recovery, Security, TCP/IP, Intranets and Internet ***
*** for mainframes (IBM, Fujitsu, Hitachi) and Unix. ***