Re: scrollback

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 18:57:23 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996 potato@dsnet.com wrote:

> Screen does indeed support colors... I dhad a .screenrc file that allowed
> full color... but after drive crashed, i lost it...
>
> -Rob
>
> On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Tam Ho wrote:
>
> > I suppose this is off-topic, but screen does support ANSI colors (has
> > been for a while now).

> > > Nope, screen does not permit colors. :(

I have to disagree with the screen argument.

For most of our purposes, the VT or VC works fine for everyone,
except that most people (that have an opinion) would like a
slightly more persistant scroll back buffer.

It's just annoying to me that we do *almost* the right thing
now. There should be no need to have the kernel do 97% and
another program that does that 97%, plus another 2% and requires
new keystrokes to learn, uses a different terminal type ....

Changing between "screen" and VT's is annoying because it is so
close to the human mental hardware. Like learning Dvorak
keyboard -- not worth it if you can only use it half the time.

--kmb203@psu.edu---------------Debian/GNU--1.1---Linux--2.1.3---
Develop free apps? http://www.jagunet.com/~braddock/fslu/org
"The C Programming Language -- a language that combines all the
elegance and power of assembly language with all the readability
and maintainability of assembly language." (version 2.0 of this
signature, thanks Pete :)