Re: Triton II + 6x86 hangs

Peter Denison (peterd@pnd-pc.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 17:37:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Gerald Combs wrote:

> I recently "upgraded" to a generic Triton II motherboard with a Cyrix
> 6x86 processor. At random times my system now hangs completely - it
> doesn't respond to keyboard or mouse input and I can't telnet into the
> machine. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when the hangs
> happen. Sometimes (rarely) it happens during the boot process. At other
> times the machine will go a full day without any problems. The only time
> it consistenly hangs is when xscreensaver's 'halo' module runs. After
> rebooting there aren't any log messages or anything else indicating that
> the system was having any problems.
>
> The system consists of the motherboard, an S3 PCI video card, an NCR
> 53C810 SCSI controller with a Quantum HD attached, a clone NE2000
> ethernet card, and a PAS 16 sound card with a CD-ROM attached.
>
> I've tried every BIOS and kernel configuration combination I can think
> of, including those concerning RAM parity checking, APM, and onboard IDE
> controllers. The problem happens with kernel versions 2.0.22 and 2.0.24.
> After finding messages in the linux-kernel archives from people with
> similar problems, I also installed versions 2.0.10 and 1.3.100, but the
> problem persisted.
>
> Does anyone know what could be causing these hangs?

Is the Hard disk light on when it has hung? Does this happen only
with the Triton hard disk support enabled? I have the problem with a
pucker P133 if DMA is enabled and I am beginning to suspect that it is
simply (!?) IDE bus hangs.

--
Peter Denison <peterd@pnd-pc.demon.co.uk>
Currently (still) working on a driver for Promise cards under Linux.