Re: Problems with netscape in 2.0.24

Robert Wuest (rwuest@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 07 Nov 1996 12:44:21 -0600

Nuno Grilo wrote:

> On 5 Nov 1996, stephen farrell wrote:
>
> > andersee@et.byu.edu (Erik B. Andersen) writes:
> >
> > netscape does have a bug. i have already provided them with specific
> > information about what that might be related to (david lea's malloc --
> > the one used by default in libc 5.2.13 and newer -- does not tolerate
> > deletes on non-malloc'd memory... and i think there was another
> > suggestion, which i also forwarded to jwz.) i think the best thing
> > for linux users to do is to use the LD_PRELOAD directive to point
> > their netscape to a old libc (or, a new libc compiled with old malloc
> > -- i've got this if anyone wants it), and, of course, to keep
> > improving their OS so that it will be financially viable for companies
> > like netscape to spend more money supporting linux.
> >
> Wouldn't it be possible to just compile the old malloc into a shared
> library and LD_PRELOAD that instead of the whole libc.5.2.18?
>
> That way we could save a lot of memory

I think there's more to it than just libc and which malloc is used.

All of the sudden I have started getting the bus error. I went a long
time since the last time I saw this error. I have Java disabled.
I'm running 2.0.23 ('cause 2.0.24 has the slow X thing).

I tried the LD_PRELOAD from a script and still got the bus error.
I then downgraded completely to libc.so.5.2.18 - still got the bus
error.

It never happens reading mail. It has happened once in the web browser.
It always happens when I try to read a posting from a newsgroup.

There must be something more than just the malloc problem.

The only system changes I have made betwwen when it worked and now is I
have installed libpng and libtiff and made a symlink from libz to libgz
to run the latest xpaint. AFAIK, no other ibs got changed.

I'm back to libc.so.5.3.12 now and using tin to read news. First time -
it looks OK.

Robert

--
mailto:rwuest@ix.netcom.com