Re: RANT: serial console

Todd Graham Lewis (tlewis@mindspring.com)
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 17:41:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:

> Why not use that patch, then? If you are talking about using Linux as
> a production level system, you shouldn't be in the 2.1.x kernels
> anyway.
(...)
> I agree that it should be included in the kernel, but what's the
> problem with just applying the patch and using it? Does it HAVE to be
> integrated?

First of all, if 1.3 was any indication, I will be using 2.1 in production
use eventually anyway. although you're right that now is not a good time.

Serial console support should be included because the 2.0 patch will
slowly become useless as the kernel muta^H^H^H^H evolves. There have been
patches before for the same functionality, and it's happened to them.

My argument is that it should be a standard feature in the kernel. It
seems to me that people are viewing it as sort of an optional, extra
feature which not many people will use. If we want Linux used in
production environments, then this is definitely the wrong attitude to
have.

Is there some sort of inherent difficulty in integrating this
functionality? Will it cause unbelievable kernel bloat? Does it make the
serial code hopelessly complex? Am I just whining?

__
Todd Graham Lewis Linux! Core Engineering
Mindspring Enterprises tlewis@mindspring.com (800) 719 4664, x2804