Re: Kernel Makefiles

D. Chiodo (djc@microwave.com)
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 20:40:17 -0500 (EST)

--------------70F8C277EFD

make [b|z|]lilo does not compile the modules.. To compile the modules,
use:

make modules

and

make modules_install

to put them in the proper locations

David J. Chiodo | 616-774-3131 | http://www.cns.net
Campbell Network Systems | davec@cns.net | support@cns.net
Microwave Systems | djc@microwave.com | Where do you want to go tomorrow?

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Bob Stanfield wrote:

> Date: Sat, 09 Nov 1996 01:36:20 -0800
> From: Bob Stanfield <stanassc@epix.net>
> To: Bob LeBlanc <bob@mint.net>, Russell Berry <rberry@albany.net>,
> linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Kernel Makefiles
>
> Gentlemen,
>
> There is something wrong with my 2.0.23 Makefiles. It is not compiling
>
> - lp.c
> - ppp.c
> - slip.c
> - BusLogic.c
>
> With trepidation, I forced the compile of these files and copied the *.o files to the
> appropriate directories (/lib/modules/2.0.23/*/*.o). As expected when I remade the
> kernel and rebooted I got the attached error messages from rc.modules.
>
> The real problem is I do not know how to get {make zlilo} to make these file
> naturally. The detailed logic of the {Makefile}s escapes me.
>
> Bob Stanfield

--------------70F8C277EFD

*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.23/net/ppp.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.23/scsi/BusLogic.o
kernel_version needed, but can't be found
slhc_free undefined
slhc_init undefined
slhc_toss undefined
slhc_uncompress undefined