Re: Linux-2.0.25 and 2.1.8

D. Chiodo (djc@microwave.com)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:30:54 -0500 (EST)

>From a previous message:

----
If you'll note the text above carefully, you'll note ldconfig is trying to
unlic directories. This is becuase the older libraries (and ldconfig) had
a different way of recording the "soname" (Which I have deduced is an
itnernal "name" of a library, irrelevant of what its filename is, that is
used for making the symlink). "version 1.7.3" is the older version, and he
is trying to isntall newer libraries.

I know what is causing this becuase I've had it happen myself. version
1.7.14 of ld.so (and ldconfig) properly recognize the new sonames (and
apparently the old ones as well).

It does however, appear that version 1.8.3 recognizes only the new names,
and goes on trying to unlink directories (unsuccessfuly) when it tries to
process the old libraries.
----