Re: time stamp resolution

D. Chiodo (djc@microwave.com)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:39:18 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Elliot Lee wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:47:08 -0500 (EST)
> From: Elliot Lee <sopwith@cuc.edu>
> To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> Cc: hpa@transmeta.com, submit-linux-dev-kernel@ratatosk.yggdrasil.com
> Subject: Re: time stamp resolution

> > > * 32 or 64-bit dev_t
> > > * 64-bit off_t?
> > > * 64-bit time_t?
> > >
> > > Anything else?
> >
> > 32-bit pid_t
> > 32-bit uid_t, gid_t (note these types arent always used right throughout
> > kernelspace)
>
> Perhaps the ability to have an (almost) infinite number of supplementary
> groups assigned to a user. Yes, I know NFS doesn't support this, but at
> least libc & the kernel could.
>
> I'd say a perusal of /usr/include/limits.h, and #include'd files, would
> aid in finding limits that could use to be raised.

Would it break anything to somehow enable different group permissions for
the same file? I have no idea how this would be implemented or if it would
break any compatibilty with anything..

I recently had something come up.. Wanted to set a directory as follows:

owner all permissions
group 1 read
group 2 read/write
"world" no access