Re: your mail

Greg Alexander (galexand@sietch.bloomington.in.us)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:26:18 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Gregory S. Youngblood wrote:

> Now here's an interesting question.. at first I was going to suggest that
> since modules work so nicely an encryption module could be created and
> maintained from outside the U. S., which could be loaded using the module
> utilities. But, that got me to thinking about some older discussions on
> cryptography export.
>
> Isn't it illegal to export cryptography or software with hooks for
> cryptography or that cryptography was easily added. I forget the exact
> workings of it, but it seems that under certain situations even just the
> hooks to allow cryptography to be added was also against export. If that is
> the case, where does that put the linux kernel with modules??
>
> Just a thought.. hopefully I'm wrong!!

It's not a hook for cryptography: it's a hook for pre-processing of
network (or filesystem or whatever) information. It could just as easily
be compression as encrypiton...if the kernel provides a generic enough
interface then I think it's okay, which would be a good idea anyways.
Besides, if I remember right, wasn't there a libc distribution
without crypt where you had to download crypt off another site? Blah, I'm
prolly getting confused.

Greg Alexander
http://www.cia-g.com/~sietch/