Re: eip in 2.0.26

Gregory Youngblood (zeta@calvin.tcscs.com)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 00:05:47 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Nathan Bryant wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Greg Siekas wrote:
>
> > Anyone else seen this, I got this under a very heavy load of file i/o and
> > computation. I had notice Linus' email about Pentium chips with a
> > stepping of 5, and that's what I've got so I booted with mem=nopentium and
> > I got this EIP while running my code.
>
> Hmm. I've been having some weird problems with a system. It's been giving
> me OOPSes and then after that every time a process started, another OOPS,
> until I hit the reset button. I saw this message, checked my
> /proc/cpuinfo, and lo and behold! it's a pentium with stepping of 5.
>
> Unfortunately, I missed Linus' warning about these chips. Can somebody
> fill me in? Do I need to replace the chip or is there some workaround?

I missed Linus' message as well, and I just found out I also have a
stepping of 5 on my p100. Here's what my cpuinfo says
calvin:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
cpu : 586
model : Pentium 75+
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
stepping : 5
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid : yes
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
bogomips : 40.04

is there anything else I should worry about?