Re: GB vs. MB

Todd Graham Lewis (tlewis@mindspring.com)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 01:59:00 -0500

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > I think that linux should report what's true, not what the
> > marketers shove down our throats. A megabyte is 2^20, it
> > should be reported as such.
>
> People expect a disk MB to be 10^6 now, so maybe Linux should
> do what people expect. With 2^20, it looks like Linux makes
> disks get smaller.

I disagree. While the suits can lie to their sheep-like customers to gain
market share, hackers don't want inflated numbers; we want the truth.

Whether it be "17 monitors" that are only 15.5 inches, "250 MB
(compressed)" drives that are only 125 MB, or "56kb modems (with
compression)" that are only 33.6kbps, inflated numbers aren't even
convinving. They're just annoying.

__
Todd Graham Lewis Linux! Core Engineering
Mindspring Enterprises tlewis@mindspring.com (800) 719 4664, x2804