Re: Linux doing "cooperative multitasking"?

Derrik Pates (dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 08:26:38 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> I start netscape on an rxvt-Term. I forgot to send it in the Background by
> not giving "&" at the end of the command line. So I hit "^Z" on the terminal I
> started netscape. Nothing happens for a long time or at all.

Control-Z stops the process, without killing it. I have done that a few
times myself, but you must background the process once you have stopped
it. Just type 'bg' after pressing Control-Z, and that will allow Netscape
to continue.

> Is Linux doing only "cooperative multitasking"?

No. Cooperative multitasking is a severely broken method, which as far as
I know is only used by M$ WinDog. Trusting the applications to multitask
was stupid when M$ started to use it, and the people who have created and
now maintain Linux would never use such a bad multitasking method.

> I know that that Netscape is broken in many regards, but anyways, i thought
> that Linux is doing preemtive multitasking to cope with such broken
> programs. And a "^C" on the controlling terminal is honored.

That's always the case with X windows based programs, they work just like
any other UNIX program in that respect.

Derrik Pates
dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu

"What'll you two lovable plush toys have?"
"How 'bout a root beer popsicle and an Orange Julius? What about you,
Max?"
"Dishwater! And put it in a dirty glass!"
-Sam & Max
"Fair Wind to Java"