Re: cpuinfo & Cyrix 6x86

B. James Phillippe (bryan@terran.org)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:51:08 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

> Why is the Cyrix 6x86 seen as a 486 in /proc/cpuinfo? Isn't it a
> Pentium-class cpu?
> Does this mean that I've to compile for a 486 target, instead a
> Pentium one?

Yes, it's a Pentium class chip. It gets detected as a 486 because the
stock kernel doesn't know how to correctly identify it (yet). Build for
PPro (from a Cyrix support person) and get Mike Jagdis' Definitive Cyrix
6x86 patches. Check the Linux kernel archive or mail me if you can't find
it.

-bp

--
# B. James Phillippe # System Administrator <Terran.ORG>
# <bryan@terran.org> # http://w3.terran.org/~bryan