Re: IPv6 and the "average user"

James W. Laferriere (babydr@nwrain.net)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 21:22:13 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Phillip Dillinger wrote:

> Processing power should not be a problem. A ten port 100Mbps router, with an
> aggregate bandwidth of 1Gbps, needs to route only about 651041 packets/second.
> Specialized hardware and a fast backplane could handle this very easily. The
> problem with processing power and routers as they are now is that they not
> only process the header, but also the payload. This is unneccesary for a
> router to do, and a good way to handle that is to have separate backplanes
> for the headers and the payloads, and to only process the headers.

Phillip,

Nice idea. Although you still have to re-integrate the
Headers with their respective payloads. And at the speeds
the Backbone -will- be using it is not an easy endevore.
NOT impossible, Just not easy.

Would someone like to layout a dual PCI bus system
along the line of the above ?

I'd really like to see what some of you might come up with to
re-integrate the headers/payloads, IE: both hardware & soft.

JimL

PS: I have a few ideas although nothing specific yet.
| James W. Laferriere | Network Engineer |
| babydr@nwrain.net | System Techniques |
| 25416 - 22nd S. | Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux |
| but only on AXP |