Re: Union file system

Tuomas Heino (tbittih@xgw.fi)
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 19:22:16 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Andi Gutmans wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> > A loopback mount is far easier than a union file system, and a big
> > necessity if you need to set up multiple chrooted environments.
> >
> > And don't tell me to use a NFS back-mount. NFS is not a solution, NFS is a
> > problem in and of itself. (Did anybody check the speed of nfs vs smbfs?)
>
> Hey,
>
> I don't really understand why loopback mounts don't exist in Linux then.
> It really doesn't sound too hard to implement for someone who knows the fs
> code of Linux fairly well.
> Any volunteers? Loopback filesystems are great.......
> Andi

Well some kind of loopback mount exists AND is in the 2.*.* kernels ;)
You'll just need mount-2.5k (or mount-2.5p as
linux-2.1.13/Documentation/Changes tells you;)
then just use mount like:
mount /tmp/fdimage /mnt -o loop=/dev/loop0,blocksize=1024
(shortened example from man page)
if you don't have the /dev entry then you might want to do this:
mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0