Re: ON/OFF-Topic: What's about my pentium???

Clemens Huebner - Sun Germany Technical Solution Center - Munich (Clemens.Huebner@germany.sun.com)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 16:36:08 +0100

> From owner-linux-kernel-outgoing@vger.rutgers.edu Fri Nov 29 07:21 PST 1996
> Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 15:49:53 GMT
> From: root <mccramer@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: ON/OFF-Topic: What's about my pentium???
>

> High!
>
> May be I am asking stupid things, but:
>
> I have a Intel Pentium 90 (or -- after all that --- I think to have...),
> but "cat"ing /proc/cpuinfo says:
>
> processor : 0
> cpu : 586
> model : Pentium 75+ <------------!!!!!!!!
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> stepping : 4
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid : yes
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
> bogomips : 39.83
> ^^^^^
> This is caused by hacking
> the motherboard to a higher clock... ;-)
>
> What does this "75+" mean??? "A little bit more than 75MHz" ?
> Or am I fooled by my "local dealer" ???

The CPUID command returns 3 values: Cpu , Model and Stepping.
CPU is 4 for 486, 5 for Pentium, 6 for PPro
Stepping is the mask revision of the chip.
Model signifies a subcategory of CPU. Since there are only 16 possible Model IDs, these are
groups of CPUs. Pentium 75+ is the Group containing all P54C versions (75-200).

Clemens