Re: Problems with 2.1.8

Hans Lermen (lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de)
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 20:20:50 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, John Sanabria wrote:

> i download, the file dosemu-0.64.1.tgz, and i untared. I patch the
> file vm86.c that i found in /usr/src/linux-2.1.8/.../vm86.c
> with the patch, that i found in
> dosemu/src/arch/linux/kernel-patches/vm86plus-2.1.8.patch. I recompiled
> the kernel.

Ok, I hope you applied the patch to the _whole_ kernel, not vm86.c alone.
( the patch touches some other files too )

> And reboot the machine, ok!, but when i try to compile the
> dosemu, appear the next:
>
> make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/dosemu-0.64.1/src/arch/linux/emumod'
^^^^^
This tells me you didn't read Quickstart, because your configuration is
set to compile emumodule (though this can't be compiled on 2.1 kernels).

Here what Quickstart would have told you (if you had read it) :

1b. Use patched kernel instead of emumodule

As an alternative to emumodule (or when using 2.1.x kernels) you
may patch your kernel (see doc/README.kernel-patches).
For this you need to configure dosemu with

- ./configure --enable-kernelvm86plus

Hans
<lermen@fgan.de>