Re: system configuration file

Tuomas Heino (tbittih@xgw.fi)
Sun, 1 Dec 1996 00:09:39 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Xie Weifang wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anybody tell me the system configuration files that Linux
> initialing procedure use to link and build the kernel? Or I
> want to know the procedure to build the linux kernel, which is the
> Major configure file(in other system the mdevice) and system
> configrure file(in other system the sdevice)?

Sounds like you have been using some other *IX, right?
and forgot to read the readme(s) ? ;)
Just do the following if you want to build a Linux kernel:

cd /usr/src/linux
make config
make dep
make clean
make zImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz_new

You can use make menuconfig or make xconfig instead of make config...
You'll propably want to be able to boot it too... so if you're using lilo
then edit /etc/lilo.conf and add stuff like

image=/vmlinuz_new
label=Linux_new
root=/dev/hda3
read-only

to the end... read the current lilo.conf for correct root device...
of course you'll need to "reinstall" lilo with command "lilo" ;)