Re: Linux-2.0.27 and 2.1.14

Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:21:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Oops. The new and improved "mkdep.c" is no longer very forgiving about
> > header files that do not exist, and the net_alias.c file has a few
> > #include's that are used for user-level debugging but do not exist in the
> > kernel.
> >
> > Fix: remove the stuff that is within the ALIAS_USER_LAND_DEBUG in
> > net_alias.c, redo the dependencies and go..
> >
> > (alternatively you can put the comment /*nodep*/ btween the #-mark and the
> > "include", which forces mkdep to ignore the dependency)
>
> I was just informed that the same thing happens for <linux/scsicam.h> when
> the kernel is compiled for SCSI. Look into drivers/scsi/ncr53c8xx.h for
> the include of that file and just remove it (it's for an older version,
> with the correct file being <scsi/scsicam.h>.

Linux-1.2.13 is old but seems to be still widely used with recent hardware.
Low-level drivers are enhanced according to new hardware features.
In my opinion, support of 1.2.13 by low-level drivers is still needed.

> If you find other places that need this kind of fixing up and that I
> missed when I did my tests, send me reports.. The fix is generally just to
> remove the offending include,

I understand that such "include" or conditionnal code for older Linux
versions can be offending for you, since I imagine all days and nights you
spent for the new Linux versions 2.0/1.Y.
I am very sorry and I will remove the support of linux versions older than
2.0.latest from the driver source.
However, if a header file is moved or removed during 2.1.X development,
the problem will come back.

Gerard.