Re: OOPS in 2.0.25

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.wal.rhno.columbia.edu)
Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:18:36 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Nathan Bryant wrote:

> Code: 14a47b <inet_connect+f3/1dc> movb 0x20000115(%ebx),%al
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It _is_ bad memory - this should be 0x115(%ebx),%al
One bit is 1 when it should be 0, and the whole thing goes down the
drain...

> I'm thinking that this is probably caused by bad hardware, since the
> system ran fine for a couple months until a bunch of problems started
> cropping up. I figured I'd post this to the list anyway though, in cause
> somebody has other ideas. My first step is going to be to replace the RAM
> in the box.

Good idea. :)

> By the way, this is a pentium with stepping=5. I have not yet tried the
> mem=nopentium option.

Not relevant in this case, IMHO. It's quite clear that 1. the pointer is
bogus and 2. it's off by one bit. So chances are 99.99% that you have bad
cache/memory.

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.