Re: Linux VCR driver?

Jason Burrell (jburrell@crl.crl.com)
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:21:14 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Brent Glines wrote:

> I was reading a copy of UNIX System Administration Handbook, by Nemeth,
> Snyder, and Seebass, when I found the following intriguing topic under a
> chapter on Backups and Transportable media:
>
> "There are controllers available for many PC's that allow a VCR to be
> used as a backup device. This is an inexpensive way to get a lot of
> backup capability on a PC. However, in order to utilize such a system,
> a device driver will have to be written..."
>
> I do not have a tape backup drive handy. I have several VCRs. Has
> anyone ever heard/done anything along these lines?

I may be off, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but my opinion
is that you really don't want to do this.

VCRs are made for low-quality -- at least in reference to the computer
industry -- recordings. They have no error correction, and the tapes are
very liable to die on you. While tapes in such a shape would normally
still be completely watchable, the computer would probably get extremely
confused by this. I've had "hums" and such suddenly appear in video
cassettes. (Yes, they were stored properly.)

On the other hand, if I am off, I might make myself a controller card to
put that old Beta to use. ;) (toungue in cheek)