Re: Linux VCR driver?

Fred Homan (homan@nando.net)
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 19:33:26 -0500 (EST)

Jason Burrell wrote the following:
> > I do not have a tape backup drive handy. I have several VCRs. Has
> > anyone ever heard/done anything along these lines?
>
> I may be off, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but my opinion
> is that you really don't want to do this.

Well, it probably depends on VCR quality. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base uses
a VCR tape device for its Intel Paragon supercomputer. I assume that the
device works well enough that the various researchers whose tapes mount from
it hadn't complained enough to get it replaced when I saw it. Of course
this wasn't someone's personal VCR, either. Besides, a device driver
and format that allow for degradation in quality would work. Don't you
remember that we used to have audio tape cassettes for many personal
computers about 20 years ago? :-)

--
Aedric the Green					IKA Fred Op
House Howling Mouse					homan@nando.net