Re: Linux VCR driver?

Ian Main (imain@vcc.bc.ca)
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 01:21:38 -0800 (PST)

On 3 Dec 1996, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> In linux.dev.kernel, article <32A36F67.642@mail.kdcol.com>,
> Brent Glines <bglines@mail.kdcol.com> writes:
> >
> > "There are controllers available for many PC's that allow a VCR to be
> > used as a backup device. This is an inexpensive way to get a lot of
> > backup capability on a PC. However, in order to utilize such a system,
> > a device driver will have to be written..."
> >
> > I do not have a tape backup drive handy. I have several VCRs. Has
> > anyone ever heard/done anything along these lines?
> >
> Don't.
>
> There may be such beasts, but I wouldn't trust my data to them.
> Better get a "real" computer tape drive.
>
> Problems with these video beasts:
> - No read-after-write, therefore no decent error control.
> - The additional conversion to an analog video signal means that the speed
> is nothing to speak of.
> - No filemarks, i.e. one backup per tape.
> - How do you push the rewind/play/record buttons with the computer?
> - Timing of the signal (usually, parallel-port) is likely to be rather
> critical -> writing a Linux driver is difficult at best.

Ahh.. yes, but video has a lot of bandwidth. You could put a lot of info
on them, everything could be recorded with error correction bits, and at a
lower frequency than the actual spectrum allows. I'm sure it could make a
fairly safe backup medium if you used the B/W (meaning video bandwitdth.)
properly. Certainly no worse then any other form of tape backup.

Although, it could certainly be difficult to have it control the VCR's
play/rewind etc.. but did you ever use a VIC20? :-)

"Press Play on tape.
Searching... "

(Yes it's cheap and dirty :)

Ian