Re: source dependencies cleanup? (fwd)

Joshua M. Thompson (invid@optera.com)
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 03:59:43 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Rob Riggs wrote:

> I think there might be a much easier way to achieve what you
> want. Rather than changing almost every file in the source tree,
> why not write a utility to just 'touch' all of the unaffected
> object files after the configuration change.

Except then we also have to patch mkdep so that autoconf.h isn't included
in the dependancies. Not a big deal, but it seems like an ugly hack. I
hate those. :-)

> The hard part here is setting up the dependancy information
> for each configurable parameter, but it should be easier than
> what you propose.
>
> make config dependancies
> copy .config to .config.old
> change configuration
> compare .config to .config.old
> check the config dependancies
> remove any .o files that are affected
> touch the unaffected files
> make new kernel
>
> Of course you could (even easier, but less fine grained) just
> touch all object files in unaffected subsystems. i.e. you change
> CONFIG_PPP then only files in linux/drivers/net get rebuilt.

The other problem is that with this method someone has to maintain that
dependancy information, whereas by changing the source files and using
seperate .h files means we do more work up front but in the end mkdep and
make take care of the dependancy information for us.

Besides, I'm willing to do all that up front work. :-)

--
invid@optera.com             | We are Grey
http://www.optera.com/~invid | We stand between the Candle and the Star