Re: source dependencies cleanup? (fwd)

Joshua M. Thompson (invid@optera.com)
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 18:32:20 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> Its not that hard. Being able to stuff the objects elsewhere to the source
> would help a lot. Currently you need a set of source trees, a set of
> compilers and your drive symlinked across.

Agreed. In fact I'd like to be able to build by having my sources mounted
over NFS but the objects stored on a local disk for speed.

> There are interdependencies between sections of the system and thus configs
> overlap. Not a big problem but one to take care about.

This will be the hard part, and that's why I will have my new Configure
script generate both the new seperate config headers and the old
all-in-one autoconf.h. It'll allow the source to be modified bit by bit;
unmodified sources will simply recompile when they don't need to, and the
modified sources will only compile if they are affected by the change.

I imagine a nice way to do this is to #define HAVE_SEP_CONFIG_H or
something along those lines; if this is defined in the source code then
linux/config.h won't include linux/autoconf.h as it does now. Thus no code
would break.

--
invid@optera.com             | We are Grey
http://www.optera.com/~invid | We stand between the Candle and the Star