Re: Patch to support initrd with dynamic ramdisks.

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:43:32 -0500

From: greg@wind.enjellic.com (G.W. Wettstein)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 13:18:02 +0000

First of all thanks to Paul Gortmaker for his work on dynamic and
compressed ramdisk support. I am finding that his work makes single
boot/root/rescue disks once again feasible. Also thanks to Werner
Almesberger and Hans Lermen for their work on the initrd system. It
in combination with the dynamic ramdisk support has been very useful
in generating single disk starter systems.

Just to give credit where credit is due, the dynamic and compressed
ramdisk support was done by Chad Page and myself. Chad did the initial
implementation, and I then cleaned it up (and modularized the
decompression code so it was shared by the ramdisk and kernel loader
routines), and submitted it to Linus.

Paul Gortmaker wrote the documentation in the Documentation subtree,
which is very important, and deserving of credit. However, the real
kudus for the actual work on the dynamic compressed ramdisk needs to go
to Chad Page.

- Ted