Re: Mysterious reboot

Chai Harjo (c.harjo@student.anu.edu.au)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 00:43:04 +1000

Bjarni R. Einarsson wrote:

> > On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> >
> > huh, i think there is a pattern: [there were similar reports]
> >
> Mine was one of them..
>
> > 1- you have NT activities on the net
> >
> Yes.
>
> > 2- 2.0.27 has the new SMBFS long filename fixes.
> >
> Happened to me with 2.0.26. Twice.. Downgraded back to 2.0.21 until a
> solution is found.
>
> > 3- you have SMBFS enabled, as a module, but you have long filename
> > support compiled into the kernel. Isnt this lethal if the NT server
> > broadcasts some silly SMB stuff and your idle machine has the module
> > unloaded?
> >
> I had SMBFS and VFAT (is this the long file name stuff you meant?), and
> anything else having to do with WinXX, *available* as modules only. I was
> running kerneld, so it should automagically load the needed modules if
> something like that happened. Shouldn't it?
>
> But why in the world would it do that? I'm not mounting any drives from
> the NT boxes, nor exporting anything, so why should Linux care what the NT
> box does?
>
> Both times it happened the NT machines were basically idle (they are servers
> for the company tech support, management and Win* people - who had all gone
> home), but the Linux box was pretty active. (Running the WWW proxy, sendmail,
> named and more for a small ISP). The reboots both occurred during the
> evening, when traffic is near its peak.

Is this another trap from Microsoft?
It is possible Bill Gates puts small program in Win NT to trigger
Linux to reboot.
May be Bill Gates does not like Linus :)
Bill Gates can not attack Linus directly, because Linux is
a GPL product. The only way to make Linux looks bad is to make
as if Linux is a bad operating system.

Chai Harjo