Re: memory crash

Gerry S Hayes (sumner@cmu.edu)
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 22:56:35 -0500 (EST)

"Richard B. Johnson" <root@analogic.com> writes:
> I don't think you have to go to all that trouble. The following code
> will hang my system AND a Sun witb SinOs 4.3
>
> main()
> {
> char x[2048];
> main();
> }

This is not a kernel error, it is a configuration error. If you don't
want this to happen, set up process limits, memory limits, and CPU
usage limits. You can do this in /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc, but
I recommend the lshell package available from sunsite somewhere under
/pub/Linux/System since it gives a more consistent interface to the
problem and works with every login shell. (sorry I can't be more
specific). Please respond to comp.os.linux.setup as this is off-topic
for the kernel mailing list.

Cordially,

Sumner